Every two months, Generator will provide a studio space and stipend to an artist, maker or designer with the goal of advancing ideas, projects and new products that demonstrate the power and potential of makerspaces.
Generator’s "makers in residence" program is a competitive, community-supported effort to brighten the light on unique creativity and incentivize artists and makers to advance their work in an important way by leveraging our tools and the talent of our community. Makers in residence receive a studio and $1,000 stipend to support their work. In exchange we ask that you give two talks to the Generator community, one to introduce your project and the second to summarize your experience and share the result.
Application and Selection
The online application requests basic contact information, a description of work including photographs, and a proposal for how you would use their residency. After that:
• Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed quarterly.
• Awards are made for two residency periods at a time.
• Applications from outside the Generator community are highly encouraged.
• Applications are reviewed by a panel composed of staff and members every sixty days.
• Proposals are evaluated for their relevance, innovation, feasibility, how they leverage Generator resources, and potential for positive impact.
The top applicant will receive notification of selection by email within thirty days of the first available residency. If you are selected you will have 72 hours to accept the offer; afterward the offer will be extended to the runner up. The offer will include proposed residency dates.
The term of a residency is two months.
Payments are made in two installments, $500 at the beginning and $500 at completion.
If you have questions about the maker in residence program please email Beth Robinson. Otherwise, we look forward to receiving your application!