JOB ANNOUNCEMENT – ADMINISTRATIVE RELIEF LEGAL FELLOW
The MinKwon Center for Community Action ("MinKwon") is seeking a full-time Administrative Relief Legal Fellow to provide legal services and assistance to individuals eligible and applying for deferred action pursuant to President Obama’s announcement of administrative relief. As a Legal Fellow, s/he will provide direct legal assistance to individuals eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA) and provide support to MinKwon’s Social Services/Immigration Team.
The position is temporary and the expected duration of the fellowship is one (1) year.
Organization History & Mission
The MinKwon Center was established in 1984 to meet the needs and concerns of the Korean American community. Since our founding, we have made a profound presence through various grassroots organizing, education, and advocacy initiatives that address important community issues, including immigration policies at the national, state and city levels, voter rights, and cultural awareness. The MinKwon Center places a special emphasis on meeting the needs of our marginalized community members, including youth, elderly, recent immigrants, low-income residents, and limited-English-proficient residents.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare and conduct educational workshops and presentations to DAPA and DACA eligible population.
- Organize and coordinate legal clinics for DAPA and DACA eligible individuals.
- Conduct client screenings, intakes and case/eligibility assessments.
- Assist clients with obtaining necessary documents to apply for DAPA and following up with clients via phone, mail and email.
- Research and analyze legal issues, articles, publications and memoranda on administrative relief.
- Maintain database of client and case information.
- General administrative and clerical duties.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as collaboratively as a team.
- Flexible schedule and availability to work weekends in the summer/high volume months.
- Fluency in Korean required.
- J.D. degree and New York State bar admission preferred.
- Strong commitment to public service and immigrant rights.
The MinKwon Center will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only selected individuals will be contacted for an interview.
Please send a cover letter describing your interest in the position and organization, resume, writing sample, transcript and three references to:
NOTE: In the subject line of the email, please write "Administrative Relief Legal Fellow – [LAST NAME, FIRST NAME]"